Study of the Gospel of St. John
read John chapter 1.
This book from the Apostle John is very provocative. John does not beat around the bush but straightway announces to the world that Jesus is God (v1)
For he says “In the beginning was the Word…and the Word was God”.
We see in this chapter several types of people:
1. All men in every nation and tongue: The Word gives life to all men (v4). We were all made by Him (v3)
2. The blind seekers (v19): Those who know enough about God to see that something marvelous is taking place in the land but are too stuck on their way to embrace God’s promise. They are always questioning and never coming to the knowledge of the truth (2 Tim 3:7). The Priests and Levites came out to see John the Baptist in wonder of just who was this man and why were so many people coming to him.
3. John the Baptist: A man out in the wilderness that refused the comforts of his world and chooses rather to live in the deserts. Most people that did this had no following as they remained in the wilderness alone. Yet for some reason people from all over the land of Palestine came out to see a man that never performed one miracle. All he did was warn people to follow Righteousness and to repent. He ensured that they were ceremonially clean for the visitation of God who was among them (Matthew 3:11, Exodus 19:10,11)
His purpose was to witness and to declare to all men that Jesus was the Son of God (v7, v34)
4. Jesus: Jesus is: The Word of God, The creator of the world (v1), The Light of the world that lights every man (v9), He that baptizes with the Holy Spirit (v33), Jacobs ladder (v51 and Genesis 28:12) upon which angels from heaven ascend and descend, The one who gives power to become a son of God (v12)
5. The finders: Those who see Jesus for who he really is and embrace Him. We see the unknown disciple (v37, v40) or John, Andrew, Simon Peter, Philip, and Nathanael. John and Andrew are watching for God and they immediately hear of Him and follow Him (v37, v40). Peter is brought by His brother Andrew (v41). Jesus searches out Philip (v43) and Philip brings Nathanael (v45)
6. Those who witness: John the Baptist (v7 and v34…witnessed to John and Andrew), Andrew (found Peter…v41), Philip (found Nathanael..v45)
7. Those who watch: John the Baptist, John, and Andrew (v35, v36)
8. Those who are commissioned: Philip (v43)
9. Those who are brought: Peter and Nathanael. (v42, 46)
10. Those who refuse Him (v5, v11, Matthew 3:7)